Saturday, May 28, 2011

Sampelut (Ginatan)

I've always craved anything cooked in coconut milk during rainy or cold season here in the Philippines. Since I don't live anymore with my mother I get to learn how to cook the food I and my siblings always loved to eat since we we're a lot younger. I'd like to share with you one of the many comfort foods we love. The Ginataang bilo-bilo.

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh coconut milk (you can use can or pack of coconut milk available in the market today)
1 tbsp. sago or tapioca pearls 
20 pcs bilo-bilo balls 
2 lbs. gabi (taro root), diced  (optional)
1 lb. kamote (sweet potato), diced 
3 plantain bananas, sliced diced
6 sections of langka (jackfruit), in strips (optional)
1 cup sugar 
2 cups warm water
Procedure:
·         Combine 1 cup of coconut milk and 2 cups water and bring to a boil.
·         Add sago (or tapioca pearls), gabi, and bilo-bilo and cook until half-cooked.
·         Add kamote, plaintain and langka and sugar and continue cooking.
·         Add the other can of coconut milk and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
·         Simmer for 5 minutes and adjust sugar to taste.

BBest served when hot. Taste better too if chilled. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment